Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Reduce pickup interaction radius
Reduce pickup interaction radius
Jan 6 2011, 5:31 am
By: payne  

Jan 6 2011, 5:31 am payne Post #1

:payne:

"Pickup Energy 25" is a rather small unit, and, in my case (read: zoomed in a lot), the fact that the game considers that the player was near enough to the pickup while in reality being relatively far really bugs me.
I've tried to change the "Movement - Radius" value, but it doesn't seems to be it.

What am I supposed to do? :(
I'd also like to attach a model on the picking-unit until the Behavior applied by the fact of picking it up ends.

P.S. Also, I've change the text displayed when it's taken to be "Trapped!", but somehow, it doesn't appear when it is taken... why?
Oh, and another thing I'm trying to do is to prevent players from picking it up right after it has spawned (it should spawn as Red Tinted, and become Blue over-time). How to? :/



None.

Jan 6 2011, 5:39 pm Temp Post #2



Is an ability used to pick up the unit? If it is then check the range on the ability.



None.

Jan 6 2011, 6:24 pm NicholasBeige Post #3



Pickups are gay.

You need to adjust the PickUp ability.

Set these fields to whatever range you require:
Ability - Auto Cast Range
Stats - Range


You have to adjust both for there to be any effect. The way that it works is any unit with this ability will try to autocast it's effect on any nearby and eligible units. So for example, the HealthPickup100 will add 100 health to any unit within 1 range (default) and if the unit has less than max health, it will add 100 hitpoints to it.

To attach a model to a unit this way, it's a bit trickier.

Create a new actor, with:
Actor Type: Model
Based On: Model Animation Style Continuous
Doodad Type: Not Doodad

Set the fields
Art - Model to whatever model you wish to be attached to your unit.

Then, the easiest thing to do would be to copy these fields from an object like Carry Mineral Field Minerals.
Events +
Hosting - Host Site Operations +
Properties - Inherited Properties

Once you've copied these fields from the mineral object, and pasted them into your new model object. You'll want to edit the Actor - Events + to whatever you want to trigger this new model being attached to your unit:



In this example, when the Behaviour:Carry Mineral Fields is On, the model is created (presumably according to it's Hosting - Site Operations. And, when this Behaviour, is Off, the animation bracket (which is attaching the Model to the Unit) is turned off (or broken).

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 6 2011, 6:36 pm by Cardinal.



None.

Jan 6 2011, 9:20 pm payne Post #4

:payne:

Quote
You need to adjust the PickUp ability.

Set these fields to whatever range you require:
Ability - Auto Cast Range
Stats - Range

You have to adjust both for there to be any effect.
I've set both to 0.005, and I haven't seen a difference. >_>



None.

Jan 6 2011, 9:33 pm NicholasBeige Post #5



Then it's to do with the Starcraft 2 limitations, unlike in Warcraft 3, Starcraft ranges operate in integers from say 1 (melee) to 13 (siege tank). Warcraft 3 ranges were more like 80 (ghoul melee) to 1050 (ballista). So you're a lot more limited especially in the lower-end of things.

<1 = 1



None.

Jan 6 2011, 10:12 pm payne Post #6

:payne:

Are you sure about that? Anything below 1 will be equal to 1 in terms of range? :O
I don't think so... just think of the splash effects... they have real numbers as values of range from the center.



None.

Jan 7 2011, 9:15 pm Temp Post #7



Remove the range completely, you don't need it. (Not auto cast range if you are using auto cast, thats something else)



None.

Jan 7 2011, 10:08 pm NicholasBeige Post #8



Quote from payne
Are you sure about that? Anything below 1 will be equal to 1 in terms of range? :O
I don't think so... just think of the splash effects... they have real numbers as values of range from the center.

I am pretty sure yes. Splash damage etc is done through the Effect field Search - which is completely different to Range. You could try as Temp says - remove the range from the ability completely and see if that has an effect? Otherwise you might need to create a workaround in which you pretty much copy what a 'pickup' type ability is doing (Create Persistent > Search Area > Validate > Cause Effect > Remove Unit). As far as I am aware that will give you more customisation in terms of the Search Area.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet