Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: [SOLVED] Transparent icons?
[SOLVED] Transparent icons?
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Dec 28 2010, 6:14 am
By: payne  

Dec 28 2010, 6:14 am payne Post #1

:payne:

I'm currently trying to use the "Move" button (76x76) to represent Left/Up/Right arrows. I took a screenshot from the previewer, opened PhotoShop, pasted the screenshot, rotated it, removed all the black with the Magic Wand Tool, saved and imported in my map.
Then, I set this new icon as the Hero Icon of a unit, launch a map-test, but see that what was transparent now became black.

How am I supposed to proceed? :(

EDIT: Extension used: .tga

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 28 2010, 10:30 pm by payne.



None.

Dec 28 2010, 6:21 am poison_us Post #2

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

.TGA supports transparency?




Dec 28 2010, 7:34 am DevliN Post #3

Woah

It does on World of Warcraft through alpha channels.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Dec 28 2010, 8:18 am poison_us Post #4

Master has given Dobby a doctorate! Dobby is free!

You need to make sure that your Photoshop is saving the .TGA with transparency, apparently it needs a plugin or something. I was trying to say that in less words.




Dec 28 2010, 7:35 pm payne Post #5

:payne:

Quote from poison_us
You need to make sure that your Photoshop is saving the .TGA with transparency, apparently it needs a plugin or something. I was trying to say that in less words.
No idea how to make sure about that. :/

@Devlin: so I am supposed to put a full background layer with an alpha of 0 instead of nothing?



None.

Dec 28 2010, 8:00 pm DevliN Post #6

Woah

No, you mess with the alpha channels. What you would need to do is select everything that you want to remain visible, go into the Channels tab, add a new channel (Alpha), and fill the selected area with white. If you can save the tga with transparency, all the black part of that Channel should become invisible. That's how it works when adding images to WoW, at least.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Dec 28 2010, 9:23 pm Jack Post #7

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Why not use .dds?

Anyway, in GIMP you go to Colour->Colour to Alpha and it will convert the chosen colour to alpha. There should be something similar in photoshop. The colour you should use would be the black that you deleted.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 28 2010, 9:43 pm Alzarath Post #8

Praetor

I prefer dds, much easier to use by the sounds of it.



None.

Dec 28 2010, 9:45 pm payne Post #9

:payne:

I can't use .dd: somehow, my PhotoShop doesn't allow me to Save As a DDS. :/



None.

Dec 28 2010, 9:47 pm Jack Post #10

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from payne
I can't use .dd: somehow, my PhotoShop doesn't allow me to Save As a DDS. :/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/11041/#228340
Photoshop dds plugin broski :P



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 28 2010, 9:59 pm payne Post #11

:payne:



:hurr:



None.

Dec 28 2010, 10:02 pm Jack Post #12

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from payne


:hurr:
Choose DXT5 for the top dropdown box, turn off mip maps until you save (when you save your file, you want mipmaps, when you load them you don't) and leave the 2D texture as 2D texture. Nothing else should need changing, just hit save after that.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 28 2010, 10:10 pm payne Post #13

:payne:

Quote from Jack
Quote from payne


:hurr:
Choose DXT5 for the top dropdown box, turn off mip maps until you save (when you save your file, you want mipmaps, when you load them you don't) and leave the 2D texture as 2D texture. Nothing else should need changing, just hit save after that.
1) How to tell him not to load with mipmaps? And seeing this window is for Saving, I just leave it as "Generate MIP maps" right?
2) So now I can remove the black background and leave the transparent region?



None.

Dec 28 2010, 10:14 pm Jack Post #14

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from payne
Quote from Jack
Quote from payne


:hurr:
Choose DXT5 for the top dropdown box, turn off mip maps until you save (when you save your file, you want mipmaps, when you load them you don't) and leave the 2D texture as 2D texture. Nothing else should need changing, just hit save after that.
1) How to tell him not to load with mipmaps? And seeing this window is for Saving, I just leave it as "Generate MIP maps" right?
2) So now I can remove the black background and leave the transparent region?
1) Hit the button for No MipMaps. And yep.
2) Should be able to, but if not there should be a way to turn a colour into an alpha map. Google it.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 28 2010, 10:30 pm payne Post #15

:payne:

It worked.
Thank you. :)



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet