Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: [SOLVED] Drop Pods
[SOLVED] Drop Pods
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Dec 28 2010, 4:07 am
By: payne  

Dec 28 2010, 4:07 am payne Post #1

:payne:

I'm trying to simulate the fall of meteorites like in AstroGears.
I believe one good way to achieve my goal is to use the Zerg Drop Pod, but unfortunately, it looks like the Drop Pod action acts extremely weirdly. I've had -huge- problems getting the position of the unit spawned (the meteor) at the Drop Pod's fall location (which is selected randomly via "Random Point of Region"). The goddamn "Position of (Last Created Unit)" would not work, just as so many other ways I've tried did not.

If you guys know exactly how to work with Drop Pods, please help.
Or if you have a better idea as of how to have similar effects as in AstroGears from within the Data Editor, tell me as well.

------------

In AstroGears, the meteors would be blue crystal amalgamations as huge as a Command Center. They would fall from the sky diagonally, leaving some blue explosions behind their flying path as a special effect.
Once fallen, all players would get to see it for a few seconds, thus giving its position to all players. The position of this meteor would also get a Ping on the minimap.

I am currently intending to use the Rich Mineral Field, but if you guys have a better idea, please share.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2010, 5:16 am by payne.



None.

Dec 28 2010, 1:52 pm NicholasBeige Post #2



Quote from payne
getting the position of the unit spawned (the meteor) at the Drop Pod's fall location (which is selected randomly via "Random Point of Region"). The goddamn "Position of (Last Created Unit)" would not work, just as so many other ways I've tried did not.

well here's an idea...

Set VariableName (type Point) to Random Point within Region A

I'll look into how the 'action' works.



None.

Dec 28 2010, 7:05 pm Roy Post #3

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Almost all input values in a trigger event/condition/action can be stored into a variable. If you need to use something more than once, store it into a variable.
Quote from name:Cardinal
I'll look into how the 'action' works.
It would just be the variable name where he's been trying things like (Last Created Unit).




Dec 28 2010, 10:06 pm Ahli Post #4

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Yeah, position of last created unit is buggy, if you just created the unit.
But you can get the X and the Y value of the position. That works somehow. Calling it's position as a point didn't work.




Dec 30 2010, 7:21 am payne Post #5

:payne:

The following trigger did -not- work. :(

Code
Drop
   Events
   Local Variables
       X = 0.0 <Real>
       Y = 0.0 <Real>
       Point = No Point <Point>
   Conditions
   Actions
       Unit - Create 1 Rich Mineral Field for player 0 at (Center of Region 001) using default facing (Ignore Placement)
       Campaign - Create Zerg drop pod at (Random point in [BR] Meteor Zone) with (Last created units) (Wait until it finishes)
       Variable - Set X = (X of (Position of (Last created unit)))
       Variable - Set Y = (Y of (Position of (Last created unit)))
       Variable - Set Point = (Point(X, Y))
       Region - Move Meteor Reveal to Point
       General - Pick each integer from 1 to 8, and do (Actions)
           Actions
               Visibility - Reveal Meteor Reveal for player (Picked integer) for 3.0 seconds and Do Not check cliff level
       Ping - Ping the minimap at Point for (All players) over 2.0 seconds, using the color (100%, 0%, 0%)




None.

Dec 30 2010, 7:39 am Centreri Post #6

Relatively ancient and inactive

Cent's complex and probably unnecessary solution: Change the meteor unit's height manually over time. You can simultaneously have it moving along the x,y plane if you want. Triggering.



None.

Dec 30 2010, 11:09 am Ahli Post #7

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

I would use something like this.
Code
   Events
       TriggerAddEventMapInit()
   Local Variables
       point = null <point>
       droppod = null <unit>
   Conditions
   Aactions
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"ZergDropPod",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,(RegionRandomPoint(Region 001)))
       SetVariable(point,(UnitGetPosition((UnitLastCreated()))))
       SetVariable(droppod,(UnitLastCreated()))
       Wait(2.6,c_timeGame)
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"RichMineralField",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,point)
       Wait(5.0,c_timeGame)
       UnitKill(droppod)





Dec 30 2010, 7:24 pm payne Post #8

:payne:

Quote from Ahli
I would use something like this.
Code
   Events
       TriggerAddEventMapInit()
   Local Variables
       point = null <point>
       droppod = null <unit>
   Conditions
   Aactions
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"ZergDropPod",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,(RegionRandomPoint(Region 001)))
       SetVariable(point,(UnitGetPosition((UnitLastCreated()))))
       SetVariable(droppod,(UnitLastCreated()))
       Wait(2.6,c_timeGame)
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"RichMineralField",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,point)
       Wait(5.0,c_timeGame)
       UnitKill(droppod)
:hurr: How do I use GalaxyCode?



None.

Dec 30 2010, 7:38 pm Roy Post #9

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from payne
Quote from Ahli
I would use something like this.
Code
   Events
       TriggerAddEventMapInit()
   Local Variables
       point = null <point>
       droppod = null <unit>
   Conditions
   Aactions
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"ZergDropPod",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,(RegionRandomPoint(Region 001)))
       SetVariable(point,(UnitGetPosition((UnitLastCreated()))))
       SetVariable(droppod,(UnitLastCreated()))
       Wait(2.6,c_timeGame)
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"RichMineralField",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,point)
       Wait(5.0,c_timeGame)
       UnitKill(droppod)
:hurr: How do I use GalaxyCode?
That's what the triggers look like when you view raw data (hotkey Ctrl+D).




Dec 30 2010, 7:46 pm payne Post #10

:payne:

Quote from Roy
Quote from payne
Quote from Ahli
I would use something like this.
Code
   Events
       TriggerAddEventMapInit()
   Local Variables
       point = null <point>
       droppod = null <unit>
   Conditions
   Aactions
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"ZergDropPod",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,(RegionRandomPoint(Region 001)))
       SetVariable(point,(UnitGetPosition((UnitLastCreated()))))
       SetVariable(droppod,(UnitLastCreated()))
       Wait(2.6,c_timeGame)
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"RichMineralField",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,point)
       Wait(5.0,c_timeGame)
       UnitKill(droppod)
:hurr: How do I use GalaxyCode?
That's what the triggers look like when you view raw data (hotkey Ctrl+D).
Ahli, mind pressing "Ctrl+D" so I can see it in the format I am used to see it? ^^



None.

Dec 30 2010, 8:23 pm Ahli Post #11

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from payne
Quote from Roy
Quote from payne
Quote from Ahli
I would use something like this.
Code
   Events
       TriggerAddEventMapInit()
   Local Variables
       point = null <point>
       droppod = null <unit>
   Conditions
   Aactions
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"ZergDropPod",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,(RegionRandomPoint(Region 001)))
       SetVariable(point,(UnitGetPosition((UnitLastCreated()))))
       SetVariable(droppod,(UnitLastCreated()))
       Wait(2.6,c_timeGame)
       CreateUnitsWithDefaultFacing(1,"RichMineralField",c_unitCreateIgnorePlacement,1,point)
       Wait(5.0,c_timeGame)
       UnitKill(droppod)
:hurr: How do I use GalaxyCode?
That's what the triggers look like when you view raw data (hotkey Ctrl+D).
Ahli, mind pressing "Ctrl+D" so I can see it in the format I am used to see it? ^^
No, because then you will see what my German triggers look like.
That wouldn't help you unless you understand German. That trigger already gives you every information you need. :)

Short explanation what the trigger does:
Create 1 droppod @ random point, locally store point and droppod unit, wait 2.6 game seconds, create rich mineral field (ignore placement), wait 5 game seconds, kill droppod unit.




Dec 30 2010, 8:31 pm payne Post #12

:payne:

"droppod" represents the unit that is spawned by the Drop Pod or the Drop Pod itself? :O

EDIT: I see you manually create the Rich Mineral Field after calling the Drop Pod. Am I supposed to understand that your Drop Pod isn't dropping any unit?



None.

Dec 30 2010, 9:37 pm Ahli Post #13

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from payne
"droppod" represents the unit that is spawned by the Drop Pod or the Drop Pod itself? :O

EDIT: I see you manually create the Rich Mineral Field after calling the Drop Pod. Am I supposed to understand that your Drop Pod isn't dropping any unit?
I'm creating the unit manually because I don't have your trigger action. I don't know where you got that. :S
And obviously my method is working for triggered spawns... :)




Dec 31 2010, 4:05 am payne Post #14

:payne:

Quote from Ahli
Quote from payne
"droppod" represents the unit that is spawned by the Drop Pod or the Drop Pod itself? :O

EDIT: I see you manually create the Rich Mineral Field after calling the Drop Pod. Am I supposed to understand that your Drop Pod isn't dropping any unit?
I'm creating the unit manually because I don't have your trigger action. I don't know where you got that. :S
And obviously my method is working for triggered spawns... :)
I though Drop Pod worked this way: you create a unit somewhere, and tell the Drop Pod to drop at some point with Last Created Unit. :/

EDIT: Everything worked perfectly.
Thanks. :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 31 2010, 5:15 am by payne.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet