Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Bricks
Bricks
Nov 13 2010, 7:07 pm
By: payne  

Nov 13 2010, 7:07 pm payne Post #1

:payne:

I'm trying to create a PvP Bricks game for the Arcade contest, but now I'm stuck on something pretty fundamental: are there any easy ways to detect the position of collision between two units? I have some solutions in mind, but they look pretty harsh and I'm sure there are better ways of doing it. :/



None.

Nov 13 2010, 7:14 pm Devourer Post #2

Hello

If object is moved via triggers you simply use 1(or more points) and move them to the position of where the brick will be after the move. Via a condition you check whether a unit is near the point (radius of 1 or w/e), if so you know that something is in the way.
That was my first idea.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Nov 13 2010, 7:37 pm Temp Post #3



If you want a challenge you can actually use the data editor to make a complete bricks game :P



None.

Nov 13 2010, 8:44 pm payne Post #4

:payne:

Quote from Temp
If you want a challenge you can actually use the data editor to make a complete bricks game :P
God, it'd take me years to figure out every time I'd have to do with the Data Editor for this. :><:



None.

Nov 13 2010, 8:50 pm NicholasBeige Post #5



(psst, Temp, he was too lazy to even work out how to rescale the Shape_Box actor, so I had to show him how)



None.

Nov 13 2010, 8:52 pm payne Post #6

:payne:

Quote from name:Cardinal
(psst, Temp, he was too lazy to even work out how to rescale the Shape_Box actor, so I had to show him how)
Hey! It was because I didn't know how. >:O



None.

Nov 16 2010, 8:40 pm payne Post #7

:payne:

I'm now trying to find a way to divide a Circle-shaped region into 4 quadrants (a pizza sliced in 4). Any ways I can do this? Looks like quite a difficulty task ;o



None.

Nov 16 2010, 9:01 pm DevliN Post #8

Woah

In the Region's properties, you can add shapes together to create that, sort of. The best I've been able to recreate is a square with a rounded "corner" buy attaching a 1x2 rectangle to a 2x1 rectangle, and then putting a 2x2 circle on top.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Nov 16 2010, 10:27 pm payne Post #9

:payne:

I want to use Behaviors to detect the collision between units to improve responsiveness... the new problem is that the Search Area effect detect units only at their center and in my case, it's a stretched cube.
Are there any ways to set the unit's collision region to something rectangular via the Data Editor?

EDIT:
Quote from DevliN
In the Region's properties, you can add shapes together to create that, sort of. The best I've been able to recreate is a square with a rounded "corner" buy attaching a 1x2 rectangle to a 2x1 rectangle, and then putting a 2x2 circle on top.
Nearly it! I did a Circle region and created 2 'negative' rectangulars to crop it.
Repeat until you have your 4 quadrants. :awesome:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 16 2010, 10:52 pm by payne.



None.

Nov 16 2010, 10:58 pm NicholasBeige Post #10



Pfft I did that 20 minutes ago :P... not my fault it takes time to make screenshots to send to you



None.

Nov 16 2010, 11:04 pm Temp Post #11



Also payne for future note you can do searches at multiple points along a unit by using a persistent effect and using periodic offsets.



None.

Nov 16 2010, 11:34 pm payne Post #12

:payne:

Quote from Temp
Also payne for future note you can do searches at multiple points along a unit by using a persistent effect and using periodic offsets.
/me has no idea how to work with that. :/



None.

Nov 17 2010, 12:53 am Temp Post #13



Check out the helion's weapon effects for an example.



None.

Nov 17 2010, 1:01 am Roy Post #14

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from payne
Nearly it! I did a Circle region and created 2 'negative' rectangulars to crop it.
Repeat until you have your 4 quadrants. :awesome:
If I recall correctly, negative regions do not work. I tried putting one inside a large square, but units inside the negated area were still considered inside of the region. Have you thoroughly tested this to be the exact effect you want?




Nov 17 2010, 1:36 am payne Post #15

:payne:

Quote from Roy
Quote from payne
Nearly it! I did a Circle region and created 2 'negative' rectangulars to crop it.
Repeat until you have your 4 quadrants. :awesome:
If I recall correctly, negative regions do not work. I tried putting one inside a large square, but units inside the negated area were still considered inside of the region. Have you thoroughly tested this to be the exact effect you want?
Oh shi-, no I haven't! :hurr:
Will try next time I map. For now, I'm leaving soon to meet some friends.

Quote from Temp
Check out the helion's weapon effects for an example.
Okay, thanks. :)



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Excalibur