Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Dependencies and custom characters
Dependencies and custom characters
Sep 20 2010, 7:02 pm
By: Bijan  

Sep 20 2010, 7:02 pm Bijan Post #1



Hey guys, I'm using the SC2 editor in order to make some movies (you'll probably see them distributed by Machinima.com in the near future, if this works). I'd like to utilize the main liberty story dependency since it has the most doodads and other stuff, but I've run into a few problems.

1) When I bring the liberty story dependency to the top of the list, I can't figure out how to make custom units. I know about duplicating units and editing the fields to make it work, but no matter what I do I can't get the custom character to show up when i search for it in the actual editor (although it does show up all wonky in the data editor)

2) If I don't bring the liberty story dependency to the top, I can't get access to all the cool story stuff. It shows up in my map editor as a weird half sphere egg thingy.

Because I'm not making a custom campaign or a multiplayer map, I need these things to work together. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'll be filming through the map editor's test function.

If anyone could help me here I would be so grateful. I know I'm a first time poster and so my pleas for help amount to very little, but I profusely thank anyone who can fix this for me.



None.

Sep 20 2010, 8:46 pm Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

First off, welcome to SEN! Machinima.com has some great movies, so it'd be cool to have a movie from SEN put there :D

1) Have you checked all the dependencies, like I have here? http://i55.tinypic.com/zxqm80.png I don't think it matters what order the dependencies are in. Now, if you duplicate the unit and all it's actors, sounds, models etc., it should show up in the terrain module straight away. Try searching for its name, it should have one that is the original unit, and one that is the duplicated unit. Unless you changed the duplicate's name, they'll both have the same name: http://i55.tinypic.com/25kkjgg.png
Make sure when you duplicate the unit, you check all these boxes: http://i51.tinypic.com/257gemb.jpg

2) Just check all the dependencies at File->Dependencies->Add Standard, and it should work.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 20 2010, 8:55 pm Temp Post #3



Just a suggestion, try adding the dependencies when you create the map and not after.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 1:54 am Bijan Post #4



Thanks for the suggestions. I added the dependencies at creation and that helped. But I'm realizing that it might be somewhat random when some of the units or objects are visible and when they don't load correctly. Its weird.

Right now I am able to duplicate a unit and that has worked out well. Thank you guys so much. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot on these boards since I'm in way over my head.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 2:27 am Temp Post #5



If a unit shows up as a half sphere in the editor try testing it, the model will probably load properly in game.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 2:43 am payne Post #6

:payne:

P.S. The order of the dependencies -does- matter. Always put the Campaign Story one on the top.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 5:24 am Bijan Post #7



Quote from payne
P.S. The order of the dependencies -does- matter. Always put the Campaign Story one on the top.

I thought it did. I'm assuming thats why all the neat little campaign things don't always load. But if I put campaign story at the top then I can't duplicate units without them being invisible from the main map editor.

Also, about the half sphere, I have actually tried to see if they load in game, but it won't.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 9:12 am Bijan Post #8



Alright, so I've found that when I put liberty story dependency on top I have a key issue. Any duplicated unit loses a key actor any further attempts to duplicate units result in that specific actor NOT being duplicated. Although everything else seems in oder. This prevents you from searching for this unit in the terrain editor or referring to it anywhere other than the data editor. This is a big problem for me and will greatly reduce my ability to create machinima with this engine. I hope there is something I'm missing.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 12:14 pm Aristocrat Post #9



Campaign dependency has been known to break the editor (and maps) in more ways than you can imagine; there is supposedly a manual workaround for grabbing things from campaign and using only melee dependency, but I don't remember a way to do it without increasing your map size by a few hundred MB.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 1:10 pm Bijan Post #10



Thanks Aristocrat. That makes sense. I somehow got it to work on my map, but I have no idea how. I was basically switching between different saved states of the same map and loading and reloading it all and suddenly it worked.



None.

Sep 21 2010, 3:06 pm payne Post #11

:payne:

Quote from Bijan
Thanks Aristocrat. That makes sense. I somehow got it to work on my map, but I have no idea how. I was basically switching between different saved states of the same map and loading and reloading it all and suddenly it worked.
Hourray for people that keeps back-ups.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Zoan, JamaL