Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: [I think solved] custom dds file - using gimp
[I think solved] custom dds file - using gimp
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Sep 16 2010, 6:33 pm
By: Ahli  

Sep 16 2010, 6:33 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Hi,
I want to add some items to my map to test, if that would work what I have in mind for my gui inventory system.

So I extracted some item graphics and a sword. That's the .tga I've attached.
Because I didn't pirate photoshop, I'm using gimp. I've installed that dds plugin. Loaded the .tga, added an aloha channel, saved the file as .dds with compression, loaded the image again to make the button "color to alpha" to be selectable, made the black color transparent with the function, saved the picture again.
The result is the .dds file I've attached.

BUT my sword became transparent during that process.
What am I doing wrong or isn't possible atm to port it to .dds with a better quality using gimp.

I already tried it with recoloring the area around the sword and making that color transparent. But then my sword became more blue and transparent.

edit:
Now I did use select area with same color (black), cut it out, painted something with the tool and reverted the last step [without the last 2 steps, the black area is still there if you save it] and saved it... now it works...

Seems like that color to alpha channel function edited to much...

Or is there a faster method. This seems quite fast now...

edit:
working dds file attached...

Attachments:
invSword07works.dds
Hits: 0 Size: 9.31kb
invSword07.tga
Hits: 1 Size: 3.06kb
invSword07.dds
Hits: 1 Size: 2.42kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Sep 16 2010, 7:04 pm by Ahli.




Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: O)FaRTy1billion[MM], Mr.BurnLiquid