Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: forcing lower damage
forcing lower damage
Aug 29 2010, 6:53 pm
By: exelsisxax  

Aug 29 2010, 6:53 pm exelsisxax Post #1



is there any way i could force a unit to deal reduced damage to shields? having shields the same type as unit really screws some stuff up.



None.

Aug 29 2010, 7:07 pm Centreri Post #2

Relatively ancient and inactive

Pseudotrigger method:
Event: A unit attacks
Condition: Target shields are above 0
Action: Split this up into two cases - if attack damage < shields left, just give the unit some more shield hit points. If attack damage > shields left, add some to the actual life and the remainder to the shields.

This should work, but it's messy. There's probably a data-based way.



None.

Aug 29 2010, 7:21 pm Temp Post #3



In the damage effect for the whatever is attacking the shields change Combat - Shield Bonus (positive or negative). You can also modify a unit's base shield armor if you want it on a certain unit.



None.

Aug 31 2010, 12:44 am exelsisxax Post #4



i really dont know how to trigger at all, and it doesnt seem like it would fit my purposes. in the data editor, i can see the shield bonus fields, but they dont actually deal a lower amount of damage ever. i tried putting -5 onto a stalker for shields, but it still did full damage to a nexus. it seems to attempt to cause maximum damage with any damage type it has available, and since shields are still classified as armored/light bio/mechanical or structure, it will refuse to accept a reduction in damage. i dont see any way around this, unless i can force the game to cause reduced damages.



None.

Aug 31 2010, 12:50 am Temp Post #5



Did you try changing the shield armor on units with shields?



None.

Aug 31 2010, 7:34 pm exelsisxax Post #6



i dont think armor would work on shields because i have weapons designed to eat shields with very high fire rates or attack numbers. i also have heavy weapons with over 250 dmg, making armor a very tricky thing to get right.



None.

Aug 31 2010, 7:46 pm Biophysicist Post #7



Look at the Immortal's hardened shields. They use a validator and a damage response. Copy that behavior and edit the damage response.

gtg so not much detail sorry



None.

Aug 31 2010, 8:04 pm Temp Post #8



I just tested the Shield Bonus field and it worked fine. The way it works though is the stalker does 14 damage to armored units (nexus) and then -5 for shields so it ends up doing 9 damage to the shields of the nexus. You can also use the shield factor field to modify the damage down to fractions instead of a set amount.



None.

Aug 31 2010, 8:35 pm payne Post #9

:payne:

This might help. :)



None.

Aug 31 2010, 8:47 pm exelsisxax Post #10



i just retested as well. before i guess i just didnt set the shield bonus low enough. i set it to -9 this time and it worked. odd thing however, against a nexus, a stalker with +5 armored and +5 structures dmg with -9 to shields and 10 base damage did 11 dmg to the nexus shields. therefore, i am now changing the topic of this thread to: how is this damage calculated? the average of 1/15/15/10 dmg would be 10.25, so it could be that if always rounded up. also could be sum of all applicable bonuses/negations, 10+5+5-9=11. shall test.
edit: payne i saw your past after i posted mine, i saw that earlier today but it is quite messy and too cumbersome for my purposes.
edit#2: this thread can be closed down at the leisure of the moderators. turns out bonuses are accumulative, not averaged.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 31 2010, 8:54 pm by exelsisxax.



None.

Sep 1 2010, 1:01 am Lanthanide Post #11



Why would the bonuses ever be averaged? That makes no sense.



None.

Sep 1 2010, 9:11 pm exelsisxax Post #12



i thought they might be averaged because the bonuses ALL stack. if you have a unit with +2 dmg to mechanical, armored, structure, and massive, and hit a unit with all of those types, it would do 8 bonus damage. thats probably why no melee units have more than 2 dmg types.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Mr.BurnLiquid, Moose