Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Charge ability
Charge ability
Aug 14 2010, 12:03 am
By: payne  

Aug 14 2010, 12:03 am payne Post #1

:payne:

I've duplicated the Zealot. It is now named "Hybrid Zealot".
His ability is a temporary boost of speed activated when the player press the ability's button. It must not auto-cast.
No mana required. It lasts a certain amount of time. There's a cooldown before using it again.

I did my best to achieve this, but I failed badly and lost the map anyway. :/



None.

Aug 14 2010, 12:18 am Temp Post #2



Ability with cooldown causes an apply behaviour effect which is a buff which gives a movement speed boost. Movement speed bonus gives the speed bonus you want (under modification for the behaviour)



None.

Aug 14 2010, 12:41 am payne Post #3

:payne:

Quote from Temp
Ability with cooldown causes an apply behaviour effect which is a buff which gives a movement speed boost. Movement speed bonus gives the speed bonus you want (under modification for the behaviour)
Not sure I understand. :><:
I tried to make it by duplicating stim pack's ability, but again, I cannot find the goddamn good fields. :(



None.

Aug 14 2010, 3:20 am Temp Post #4



Just make some new ones. Make an ability of type effect - instant, cooldown is set under cost (you should set the Time Use field to the number of seconds you want). Make an apply behaviour effect for the ability to use. Make a new behaviour and set the duration to however many seconds you want it to last. Then link them all together and add it to your zealot. I might have missed something so feel free to ask more questions.



None.

Aug 14 2010, 3:58 am payne Post #5

:payne:

Quote from Temp
Make an apply behaviour effect for the ability to use. Make a new behaviour and set the duration to however many seconds you want it to last. Then link them all together and add it to your zealot. I might have missed something so feel free to ask more questions.
Lost me at those part. :(



None.

Aug 14 2010, 4:09 am Temp Post #6



So you make an effect of type apply behaviour change the target to caster. And attach it to your action. Then make a new behaviour (type buff) and change the modification item to add your speed (it's under movement). Then set the duration parameter on the behaviour to the number of seconds you want the ability to last. Set the behaviour in the effect to the behaviour you just created. Add the ability to your zealot.



None.

Aug 14 2010, 4:24 am DevliN Post #7

Woah

Temp is basically saying to create the Ability from scratch rather than try to edit the default Zealot charge. To do so, you need to create a couple Behaviors for the Ability to use.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Aug 15 2010, 11:49 pm payne Post #8

:payne:

It worked nearly perfectly.
Three little errors:
1) The current order is canceled when the ability is triggered (the unit stops)
2) The cooldown doesn't seems to work: the zealot gets permanent increased speed :O
3) The player can cast the ability as long as he wants. I want the spell to be a bit like Blink on this part: cooldown before using it again.

EDIT: Fixed #3. I had set cooldown time under behaviour and not ability.

EDIT: I've learned a lot with this little exercice... though I still ask myself how you determinated the Type of the stuff you wanted me to create (Buff, etc.). Any descriptive list out there?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 16 2010, 12:00 am by payne.



None.

Aug 16 2010, 1:48 am Temp Post #9



I've started a wiki article for behaviours. Right now it only contains a short description for buffs but I will expand on it.


To fix #2 there is a field called Stats - Duration, that is the number of seconds the buff will last.

To fix #1 I'm looking into the redirect instant ability type, this is what stimpacks use.



None.

Aug 16 2010, 2:08 am Temp Post #10



Ok so to fix #1 all you need to do is have the transient flag enabled for the ability.



None.

Aug 16 2010, 2:40 am payne Post #11

:payne:

Quote from Temp
To fix #2 there is a field called Stats - Duration, that is the number of seconds the buff will last.
This means this step was useless?
Quote from Temp
Make an ability of type effect - instant, cooldown is set under cost (you should set the Time Use field to the number of seconds you want).
I've set back the Time Use to 0 in the ability and it didn't affect anything. ;o


Well, everything works perfectly now.
Thank you very much for your help! :awesome:

Here's my map. I find that ability quite nice. :3
http://www.mediafire.com/?s19bvlwpdc9y393



None.

Aug 23 2010, 4:20 am payne Post #12

:payne:

http://www.staredit.net/starcraft2/Designing_an_ability
I've created a Wiki for this. In my opinion, it is fairly well written.
All it's missing is a little part I forgot to ask for in this thread:
Where do we set the ability's default button and hotkey?



None.

Aug 23 2010, 4:23 am DevliN Post #13

Woah

You set the key at the Button. The default button is in the Ability itself, I think.



:devlin: Currently Working On: :devlin:
Myself

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: Mr.BurnLiquid, Moose