Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Is Real modding possible?
Is Real modding possible?
Aug 7 2010, 12:26 am
By: xXxAlphaxXx  

Aug 7 2010, 12:26 am xXxAlphaxXx Post #1



I was wondering if it is really possible to make real mods like the ones made for Starcraft 1 (IE gundam century, STF, Zeji conversion, anything by Iskatumesk, etc) or is the known community just calling custom maps mods? Also how is the Galaxy editor compared to the SC1 modding tools (Datedit, Firegraft, ICE, and etc) in terms of power, UI, and its new features? Thank you for your time.



None.

Aug 7 2010, 12:31 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

It is possible to create a total conversion with SC2, yes. However, it is my personal opinion that what people call "modding" in sc2 is in fact mapping, perhaps on a larger scale. Real modding involves things like exe edits and things that aren't generally possible with what the game comes with. So while you can do a lot more with SC2 than with SC1 modding, it isn't TRUE modding.

Galaxyeditor is more powerful, in just about every way. It has a pretty bad UI but is still very powerful. Just not as powerful as I'd like :( but then I'd be able to hax bnet2.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 7 2010, 12:32 am Devourer Post #3

Hello

In galaxy edit you can mainly do (correct me if I'm wrong) everything any modding tool for sc1 could do and more.
You can change strings, buttons, add graphics, terrain, textures, heroes, weapons, models, sounds, actually everything. Therefore "Modding" like in SC1 is fused with mapping now.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 7 2010, 12:41 am xXxAlphaxXx Post #4



What im really looking for in the editor is a way to run a true mod and not just data that is connected to a map; which i can take from Jack's comment is not probible anymore, or atleast at this point in time. I would of rather liked to run my custom EXEs instead of having to update every melee map i play with data files that (from my experience) make the total number of maps with custom data greater in physical memory then my one simple EXE file.

btw Devourer, a game map and a game modification by english definition cannot be the same thing because of there load order in a games engine.

just for the record: History of early SC modding



None.

Aug 7 2010, 12:43 am Jack Post #5

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from xXxAlphaxXx
What im really looking for in the editor is a way to run a true mod and not just data that is connected to a map; which i can take from Jack's comment is not probible anymore, or atleast at this point in time. I would of rather liked to run my custom EXEs instead of having to update every melee map i play with data files that (from my experience) make the total number of maps with custom data greater in physical memory then my one simple EXE file.

btw Devourer, a game map and a game modification by english definition cannot be the same thing because of there load order in a games engine.

just for the record: History of early SC modding
If/when someone makes an exe editing program, what you want will be possible. Currently though, custom exes and real modding aren't possible.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 7 2010, 12:44 am Devourer Post #6

Hello

I only said that the modding of what you could do with SC1 by using tools like firegraft is now all doable with the editor. Did I lie there? OFC I am excluding MPQdraft.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Aug 7 2010, 12:50 am xXxAlphaxXx Post #7



i thought that having the 2 guys who invented SC1 modding working for blizzard work of made SC2 a great modding platform, guess ill have to take up mapping until a good exe editor comes out; All the galaxy editor reminds me of is SCM loader and firegraft plugins, although its more painful to work with then firegraft plugins.



None.

Aug 7 2010, 1:24 am Temp Post #8



Quote from xXxAlphaxXx
What im really looking for in the editor is a way to run a true mod and not just data that is connected to a map; which i can take from Jack's comment is not probible anymore, or atleast at this point in time. I would of rather liked to run my custom EXEs instead of having to update every melee map i play with data files that (from my experience) make the total number of maps with custom data greater in physical memory then my one simple EXE file.

btw Devourer, a game map and a game modification by english definition cannot be the same thing because of there load order in a games engine.

just for the record: History of early SC modding


You can make SC2Mod files which you add as dependencies to maps so that you can make a mod and have multiple maps made for that mod.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet