Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Questions about Weapons
Questions about Weapons
Jul 19 2010, 8:48 pm
By: Cheese  

Jul 19 2010, 8:48 pm Cheese Post #1



So I have a few questions about weapons in the data editor.

First is how to properly duplicate and edit the duplicate of a weapon while still maintaining the same animation/missile/model/sound, basically making it look and sound like the original weapon, and still being able to edit it [Answered, may need screenshots]
(for example sometimes the unit would shoot white spheres that did damage as opposed to the copied corruptor parasite spore [Phase 2 editor])
(another example is the sound for a copied probe attack with longer range playing but with no animation and the unit takes damage [Phase 1 Editor])

Second I would like to make weapons that apply behaviors like Marauder's Slow, how could I do that? [answered, may need screenshots]
(For example I want a weapon that applies the graviton beam behavior or the fungal growth behavior to units attacked)
So how would I make a weapon that makes units affected by graviton beam (in the little orb) when it hits, or make a weapon that makes units have fungal growth when it hits?

Third How do I make weapons that cast spells on impact? (like once a photon cannon hits a psi storm goes off, or when a stalker hits, a vortex goes off, ghost hits, emp goes off etc.) [Answered, see 2nd Q]

and a non related question
How do I properly duplicate behaviors that do the exact same thing, but I want to be able to edit the duration. [Answered]

It would be appreciated if you guys could answer these questions, and I would be even happier if the first one was answered first.

-Mp)Cheese

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 23 2010, 7:47 pm by Cheese.



None.

Jul 19 2010, 9:59 pm payne Post #2

:payne:

I'd like to add my own question:

How do we make it in sort that the player can decide of the location he launches his missiles/casts his spell? (Think of Fungal Growth, which lets you target anywhere on the ground)



None.

Jul 20 2010, 1:39 am Temp Post #3



I can answer question 2 and 3 right now (same answer actually), ill look into the others.

If you want different effects on impact of a weapon then you need to edit the damage effect on a weapon to be whatever effect you want (apply behaviour for slow). If you want it to do multiple things then use a set effect (it just causes multiple effects). You should be able to do this for psi storms as well, just cause the same effect as the ability does but it may not display the right animations/actors I would need to look into that.



None.

Jul 20 2010, 2:11 am Cheese Post #4



Quote from Temp
I can answer question 2 and 3 right now (same answer actually), ill look into the others.

If you want different effects on impact of a weapon then you need to edit the damage effect on a weapon to be whatever effect you want (apply behaviour for slow). If you want it to do multiple things then use a set effect (it just causes multiple effects). You should be able to do this for psi storms as well, just cause the same effect as the ability does but it may not display the right animations/actors I would need to look into that.

Do you have some screenshots to help me out, this feedback is appreciated, but I'm afraid I can't do this until the first question is answered

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 20 2010, 2:17 am by Cheese.



None.

Jul 22 2010, 6:55 pm Temp Post #5



For question number 1 duplicating the weapon and the attached actors to the weapon should keep animations/models intact. You may need to edit the actor events to reflect your new weapon depending on the weapon you want to duplicate. I will post screenshots/tutorial later.


Duplicating behaviours should be easy. If you want to edit the duration of a behaviour (assuming it is a buff) edit the Stats - Duration field or the period/period count if it is a periodic behaviour.



None.

Jul 22 2010, 7:09 pm Temp Post #6



Quote from payne
I'd like to add my own question:

How do we make it in sort that the player can decide of the location he launches his missiles/casts his spell? (Think of Fungal Growth, which lets you target anywhere on the ground)

I think changing the target on the effect to Target Point will accomplish this.



None.

Jul 22 2010, 9:37 pm Cheese Post #7



But I doubt this would be with weapons, it would be only with abilities, Thanks Temp, I just want to see how to duplicate a weapon...
EDIT: misread

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 23 2010, 7:45 pm by Cheese.



None.

Jul 23 2010, 6:05 am Temp Post #8



Quote from Cheese
But I doubt this would be with weapons, it would be only with abilities, Thanks Temp, I just want to see how to duplicate a weapon...

What would only be with abilities? Actors can be attached to weapons.



None.

Jul 23 2010, 7:40 pm Cheese Post #9



I meant the "targeting" part unless there are weapons that would require for you to target an AoE area which could easily be replaced by an ability



None.

Jul 24 2010, 2:57 pm Temp Post #10



Sorry I thought that he wanted to do it with abilities. It would probably have to be done with abilities (really attacking is just a special ability anyway).



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet