no idea at all. ive tried using multiple copies of the weapon in the weapons field, copying a weapon and adding it, changing a weapons "count" to a high number, nothin i try works.
i have actually found a way to manually force your unit to attack severl units simultaneously if it has multiple weapons. target one unit, then quickly target another. this seems to be the only way i can manage my units to fire multiple weapons at all.
The short answer is to add a Search effect between the weapon and damage effect links so that the weapon calls a search effect which calls multiple damage effects in your desired search radius.
Quote
Howto: 1) Creating a Weapon Algorithm a) Goto Data Editor - Data Type: Effects b) Press "Ctrl =" c) Effect Type: "Create Persistent" d) Name it, hit OK, and create the effect e) Set "Location +" to Target Unit f) Set "Period Count" to # (this number is how long you want the weapon rotation to last before restarting) g) Set "Period Duration" (here you set how long you want the algorithm to go between actions - this needs to have as many fields added as your # for "Period Count") h) Set "Period Effects" (here you set the weapons you want to fire in the order you want them fired in - this needs to have as many fields added as your # for "Period Count" And need to be the projectile file themselves) i) Set "Time Scale Source +" to Caster
2) Creating a Weapon to run the Algorithm a) Data Type: Weapons b) pick any weapon (your primary weapon type is best) and press "Ctrl U" c) Press "Ctrl M" and edit the name to anything you like. d) Set "Effect" to the Effect you created in (1) e) Set "Period" to the sum of all the durations in the Effect.
3) Tying the Weapon to a Unit a) Data Type: Units b) Pick the unit that you want to apply this to and Press "Ctrl U" c) Press "Ctrl M" and Name the unit whatever you want. d) Set "Weapons +" to the Weapon you just made in (2)
finally got it to work. unit is just a black dot though, cant select it with a box, and weapon targeting takes a few seconds, i can make that a good thing though.
got over my unit duplication difficulties, and tried again with 5 different weapons with different periods. still worked, but it doesnt work the way i need it to. a loop of different weapons fire that cant target a new unit until it finishes its current event period really isnt what i need. i need the weapons to fire independently, with thier own non-linked cooldown periods. attacking different units simultaneously isnt something i desperately need, though the tutorial doesnt seem to do that either.
AHA! finally figured it out, it is a FAR simpler way than that search effect, works better and more often, and is far closer to what i need. pretty much just give a unit multiple weapons, and on every single weapon set "backswing" to 0. then you uncheck "linked cooldown" and the attack only attack target boxes. at one point, i got an archon to attack two nexi and an overlord at the exact same time with all five weapons spread around them. a bit sporadic though. put muta, hellion, ATG laser, photon cannon, and thermal lance weapons on. lances would ALWAYS fire at anything roughly in front of them, even when the chon was attack/following an ovie at max range, which is great. the infernal flamethrower and ATG laser weapons were sporadic at times though.
EDIT: retested with a total of 10 weapons, adding acid spittle, prismatic beam, lanzer torpedoes, spine crawler tentacle, and stalker disruptor gun. in addition to being far more weapons than anyone would realistically use, and therefore being very unreliable getting all 10 weapons going at once, every time the prismatic beam locked onto a target for more than about a second all other weapons would stop firing. i dont know why, it might have just been its charging effect interacting badly with the other 9 weapons.
Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 11 2010, 3:17 am by DevliN. Reason: Use the edit button, please.
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads