Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Somebody point me in the right direction
Somebody point me in the right direction
May 14 2010, 7:20 am
By: Atlos  

May 14 2010, 7:20 am Atlos Post #1



So I've been fiddling around with the editor a bit (just downloaded the beta earlier today) and I'm trying to get accustomed to everything. I'm sort of lost though, I feel like I've been thrown into the jungle without a map and somehow expected to survive. I'm sure this has been asked before, so I'm just asking people to quickly explain (or point me to a link) a few things:

- What's the difference between Events and Conditions for triggers?
- What are the libraries in the triggers used for? I can't seem to add them to a trigger.
- What are actors?
- How can variables be utilized? Are these the equivalent of death counters for SC1?
- What is the script test for? Where could I find the syntax used for it?

That's mainly it for now. It seems like a lot of the people who have been pumping out maps have already made maps for WC3 and are familiar with the editor. Anyways, if anybody could find some good camera and data editor tutorials that would be cool too! I've been looking at Yoshi's on youtube and they are a good start.



None.

May 14 2010, 7:46 pm Swampfox Post #2



Quote
- What's the difference between Events and Conditions for triggers?
Every single trigger isn't always running. The event lets the system know when to execute that trigger. When the event executes the trigger, it will then check the conditions.

Quote
- What are the libraries in the triggers used for? I can't seem to add them to a trigger.
Are you talking about those two folders you see in the upper left? You shouldn't have to mess with those at all. Just add your triggers in the blank white box below the box those folders are in.

Quote
- What are actors?
Actors basically piece all of the information together for a unit -- models, sounds, upgrades, etc. The actor is then linked to the unit using the 'unitName' field.

Quote
- How can variables be utilized? Are these the equivalent of death counters for SC1?
To utilize variables, just click the new variable button, where the new trigger button is, to create a global variable. Then just select what type of variable you want it to be, depending on what type of functions it will be interacting with. Variables can simply be numbers, or even units. When creating events for your triggers, the function 'set Variable' is selected by default, and for good reason.

Yea, basically, they're the death counters of SC1.

Quote
- What is the script test for? Where could I find the syntax used for it?
I don't know this one...


I hope all this helped!



None.

May 14 2010, 8:50 pm Atlos Post #3



Quote from Swampfox
Quote
- What's the difference between Events and Conditions for triggers?
Every single trigger isn't always running. The event lets the system know when to execute that trigger. When the event executes the trigger, it will then check the conditions.

Quote
- What are the libraries in the triggers used for? I can't seem to add them to a trigger.
Are you talking about those two folders you see in the upper left? You shouldn't have to mess with those at all. Just add your triggers in the blank white box below the box those folders are in.

Quote
- What are actors?
Actors basically piece all of the information together for a unit -- models, sounds, upgrades, etc. The actor is then linked to the unit using the 'unitName' field.

Quote
- How can variables be utilized? Are these the equivalent of death counters for SC1?
To utilize variables, just click the new variable button, where the new trigger button is, to create a global variable. Then just select what type of variable you want it to be, depending on what type of functions it will be interacting with. Variables can simply be numbers, or even units. When creating events for your triggers, the function 'set Variable' is selected by default, and for good reason.

Yea, basically, they're the death counters of SC1.

Quote
- What is the script test for? Where could I find the syntax used for it?
I don't know this one...


I hope all this helped!
Thanks! Very helpful. I'll just have to play around with everything.



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: sarahtaylor