Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Can you make a bridge that people can walk on
Can you make a bridge that people can walk on
May 13 2010, 5:31 am
By: Fallen  

May 13 2010, 5:31 am Fallen Post #1



I want to create a bridge that people can walk across but more importantly walk under. Possible?



None.

May 13 2010, 12:39 pm PunWisp Post #2



We don't know yet, theres not many doodads so maybe on release, when the full editor is released, there will be bridges.



None.

May 13 2010, 8:50 pm payne Post #3

:payne:

There -is- a bridge doodad in some tilesets.



None.

May 15 2010, 8:56 am Fallen Post #4



So i found those bridges, actually it is just one bridge. and i havent been able to use them. They are technically there but you cant walk on them, just through or under.



None.

May 16 2010, 6:10 pm payne Post #5

:payne:

Quote from Fallen
So i found those bridges, actually it is just one bridge. and i havent been able to use them. They are technically there but you cant walk on them, just through or under.
http://www.staredit.net/topic/11065/
I believe this map starts with a walkable bridge. ;o



None.

May 16 2010, 7:54 pm Fallen Post #6



i just played it and it doesnt :/ under the bridge is terrain. So it looks like you are on the bridge but actually you are walking on the terrain. In one spot you actually dip below the bridge. You think the final release of GE will be different?



None.

May 16 2010, 8:06 pm Pr0nogo Post #7



I never actually thought about making a bridge with terrain under it, lol.

I seriously hope they make working bridges.




Jul 5 2010, 3:04 am (U)Bolt_Head Post #8



Walking Over bridges can be done with triggers without too much difficulty...

Here is a test map I was playing around with where units can walk both Under and Over the bridge.
[attach=7052] (hopefully the attachment will work)

There are several issues that are still with my implantation.
- Pathing. Although I set it up so units can't walk off the bridge or up onto it there are still a few issues.
---- Units on top collide with units on bottom,
---- Units have to be 'babysat' around the bridge a lot cause of the path finding doesn't take into account the triggered pathing.
- Vision / Interaction:
---- Because the units are technically on the same terrain level. Units on the bridge can be attacked and seen by units under the bridge. Also when walking over a bridge they cannot see to the other side because they are on the ground.

Some of these may have fixes some might not.

Attachments:
BridgeWalker.SC2Map
Hits: 12 Size: 37.34kb



None.

Jul 5 2010, 6:10 am payne Post #9

:payne:

Link not working! :(



None.

Jul 5 2010, 9:59 am Devourer Post #10

Hello

Checked the database because I thought it might be a bug but he actually deleted it. I'll simply undelete it as this should be interesting ;)
EDIT: Wow, that's nice and working :) Only the pathing sucks due to the problem that they get ordered to the ground layer and not on a bridge (it ignores that the bridge is... how to say... "walkable ground")
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2144/bridgewalker.png


Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 5 2010, 2:41 pm by Devourer.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jul 6 2010, 5:56 am (U)Bolt_Head Post #11



That happens with every file I upload... What am I doing wrong?

PS. I was considering the idea of modifying units orders when they are on the bridge and you click on the bridge by the appropriate offset. But ultimately I decided it was not worth it. And WAY too much math involved if you consider different camera angles.



None.

Jul 10 2010, 5:58 am payne Post #12

:payne:

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/map-development/3185-multi-plane/
Bolt, is that you or someone just ripped your idea? :O



None.

Jul 13 2010, 6:33 am (U)Bolt_Head Post #13



Quote from payne
http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/map-development/3185-multi-plane/
Bolt, is that you or someone just ripped your idea? :O

There's no reason to believe he didn't come up with it by himself. Just the fact that my post here is a reply to someone else who was curious about the same issue indicates many people would inevitably try to make it work and succeed.

I thought about posting up what I did on SC2Mapster but was too lazy, perhaps I'll check out his triggers to see what he did better or worse.

PS. My user name on SC2Mapster is 'TheBoltHead'



None.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet