Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: GalaxyEdit: Basics
GalaxyEdit: Basics
May 1 2010, 1:16 am
By: Jack  

May 1 2010, 1:16 am Jack Post #1

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Brought to you by Clan RCDF. http://rcdf.freeforums.org/ for the win.

We all know by now that GalaxyEdit, or GE for short, has a terrible User Interface. I'll try to explain it as best as I can in this tutorial.




This is the starting screen. You may not have Terrain up by default, but it should look something like this.
Zone 1 is the minimap. Shouldn't need much explanation. You can navigate around your map quickly using it.

Zone 2 is the main area. I'll call it the 3D view for now. Pretty simple as well, it shows you a nice visual representation of the map you're making. You use it to place units, buildings, regions, etc.

Zone 3 is the fun bit. I'll call it the Control Panel for now, not sure what plans on calling it. This contains the controls of whichever layer you are currently in. In the screenshot, it has numerous terrain-related buttons and tools.

Zone 4 is the toolbar. It has icons and some menus. More on that later.

Zone 2: 3D view.
The 3D view controls are fairly simple to understand.
Left-click places units, modifies terrain, etc, depending on what layer you are in.
Right-click + drag moves around the 3D view.
Scroll-wheel zooms in and out.
Ctrl-Rightclick + drag rotates the view.

(Those are all the controls I've worked out so far, may be more)

Changing the 3D view
There are several ways to change what you can see on the 3D view. First, I'll show you the grid.


The grid.

As you can see, you can place a grid over the map. It can be either Large or Small, or you can turn it off altogether.
There are several other options in the View menu, which you can explore yourself. Nothing too complicated there, with the exception of the Camera settings. You can use this to edit the settings of the camera, both ingame and the editor camera as far as I can tell.

I gotta go now, I'll finish this when I have a moment.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 14 2010, 12:57 am BlueWolf Post #2



That's only grid basics, and what the map editor looks like... I thought it would have at least talked about the triggers, locations, forces, and such.



None.

Aug 14 2010, 1:09 am Jack Post #3

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from BlueWolf
That's only grid basics, and what the map editor looks like... I thought it would have at least talked about the triggers, locations, forces, and such.
I didn't have time to finish it, and I don't have a computer with SC2 at the moment. Sorry.



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 14 2010, 3:48 am payne Post #4

:payne:

If people could help me out on this, it'd help: http://www.staredit.net/topic/12091/
(Posting this here because it's related to the topic. You'll surely want to implement the answers found in there in this tutorial.)



None.

Aug 14 2010, 3:53 am Jack Post #5

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from payne
If people could help me out on this, it'd help: http://www.staredit.net/topic/12091/
(Posting this here because it's related to the topic. You'll surely want to implement the answers found in there in this tutorial.)
I don't have SC2 currently, so the OP won't be updated for a while :/ unless someone wants to get me a copy of SC2 :P And I don't wanna DL it, my internet cap's 5gbs a month :(



Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 15 2010, 12:12 am Devourer Post #6

Hello

Jack, make an entire tutorial for all basics and differences between sc1 and sc2 mapping, in each aspect and you'll be given many minerals :)
Just keep it userfriendly.



Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Options
  Back to forum
Please log in to reply to this topic or to report it.
Members in this topic: None.
[02:53 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: I'll check it out this weekend!
Thanks
[02:47 am]
Symmetry -- I'll check it out this weekend!
[02:40 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Symmetry
Symmetry shouted: Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
I invite you to try out the map I modified. I don't have the creativity to create maps from scratch, but I do have the know-how to modify existing ones; my project is to tweak community campaigns (specifically those with errors—to make them playable.
[02:27 am]
Symmetry -- Another map maker? Damn we really ARE back
[01:51 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Now that I wanted to change my avatar, the error image is showing up, haha.
[01:34 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
I invite you to try out a mission I'm modifying from *StarCraft Reversed*; I'm trying to make it more playable and challenging.
[01:33 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: Mr.BurnLiquid actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
Thanks; I'm new to the site and a Spanish speaker. I must have missed the part where it was prohibited—I'll change it now.
[01:31 am]
Ultraviolet -- Mr.BurnLiquid
Mr.BurnLiquid shouted: Ultraviolet Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
actually yeah though I wasn't really saying it to narc on you. It just caught me off guard because I don't usually see it (because it's against the rules) "The avatar may not be bigger than 150x150 pixels". Kinda silly that it relies on users to be well behaved rather than just limiting the dimensions on uploads :lol:
[12:20 am]
Mr.BurnLiquid -- Ultraviolet
Ultraviolet shouted: https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Is it forbidden to have a large avatar?
[12:04 am]
Ultraviolet -- https://staredit.net/profile/133367/ dude's avatar is massive
Please log in to shout.


Members Online: UndeadStar, Ultraviolet